Skip to main content

So many choices...

Today I drove to Columbia Tennessee, to a church that I served as Senior Pastor from 1990 to 1998.  It was my longest pastoral tenure (of three churches) and one that I could have seen as a lifetime appointment.  In fact, our former General Overseer, Bishop Billy D. Murray stated at a conference, "some of you pastors need to make your churches life-long appointments."  I couldn't wait to get to him and share that I was accepting his challenge.  Two-years-later, I was appointed as the Regional Overseer of Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming.

The reason for the trip today was to celebrate Pastor Charles Thornburg's recent graduation from the Pentecostal Theological Seminary, earning his Masters Degree in Counseling.  It was good to see old friends from the church and even some who are not regular attenders there.

Since I had a little extra time (I know, sounds weird doesn't it) I decided to drive on the secondary highways that I spent so much time on, bypassing the Interstate and the drive that seems more like the Indianapolis 500 than it does a peaceful trip through the rolling hills of Tennessee.

I noticed how much urban sprawl has sprung up between Nashville and Columbia, but I noticed something else that gave me pause to think.  I was absolutely amazed at the number of new churches that have sprung up.  There were new buildings, renovated grocery stores and store front buildings, and one that meets in a bank, and another at a YMCA.  There was even one in an old garage on the side of someone's house with the service times painted on the overhead door.

Since we are a church-planting movement some things caught my eye that maybe wouldn't others.  I noticed the grown up grass around them, the trash in the parking lots and the obvious signs of superficial care being given.  I noticed the mainline churches have now added "contemporary" services on Saturday nights with traditional services on Sunday.  This is code for the old folks don't like the new music and the young folks are bored to tears with the hymns of the church.

There were large churches, small chuches, medium sized churches.  Some offered free oil changes, others offered services in multiple languages.  According the the names of the leaders on the signs, the area has an array of choices.  The signs touted their leader as "Apostle" "Reverend" "Doctor" "Bishop" "Preacher" "Pastor/Teacher" and one was just plain "Brother."

The names of the church were a little different too.  There were Church of God, Assembly of God, Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, Pentecostal, Christian, Jesus Name, and an assortment of churches named after trees, rivers, streams and rocks.

As I marveled at all of the growth, I couldn't help but wonder how many folks are connected to all these churches?  Some of them I know from living reasonably close.  There are several in the hundreds, fifty's and sixties, and a few that have less than a dozen.  I wondered how many of the senior saints would be carried to worship services in a church bus or van (there were some of those churches too), how many would ride their motorcycle, BMW's, Volvo, Audi, Cadillac, Lincoln?  Coming in every shape, size and background folks will attend the church of their choice.

But I noticed something else too.  I noticed some that have closed, been converted to restaurants and other commercial enterprises.  These are the ones that just didn't make it.  There were also at various states of decline and death, the telltale signs abundant from just looking at the building and property.

With all of the churches and different ministries, why is it that the majority of people in the community will opt for the lake, camping trip or just plain stay in bed?  Why do these churches die?  Now, we have to admit that some close because of poor leadership, some because of people with vicious territorial attitudes and some who have simply lost relevance.

However, having said all of that, I also believe that many of them closed because the word "Ichabod" has been written over the door (1 Sam 4:21) basically meaning "the glory of the Lord has departed."  Dead churches lose their relevance because they lose the Glory.  They lose the anointing from the Lord because of their determination to have it "their" way.  You know the type, "I want it how I want it, when I want it, where I want it, with whom I want it...I want it my way."  They are willing to let the church die rather than relinquish control to the Holy Spirit.  Caught up in their business plans, denominational staleness and lack of compassion, they have totally lost touch with God.

Today I pose a question to my readers.  When is the last time someone was saved (converted) in the altar of your church...is their still an altar in your church?  When was the last time someone was saved (converted) through the outreach efforts of your church.  When was the last person baptized in water?  Has it been so long that the baptistry has become a storage unit for all the Christmas decorations?

When was the last time real revival broke out in your church?  The kind where the drunks were saved and sobered in the same moment?  When the drug addict walks away from his/her destructive habit?  When was the last time a marriage was restored because divorce was not an option?

These things don't just happen, rather God moves in when we are ready to move the devil out.  God is ready to take control when we are willing to let go of it.  God is willing to build us up when we are willing to lower ourselves down.

When talking to an old friend today I quoted this verse as the solution:  Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy, break up your fallow ground: FOR IT IS TIME TO SEEK THE LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you." (Hosea 10:12) Emphasis mine

Yes, we need to plant new churches, but we need a revitalizing revival to sweep through the churches in America, or else we will continue to be divided and conquered by the enemy of our souls.

I am ready for a real MOVE OF GOD.  What about you?

Comments

Bradshaw's said…
As I read your post Pastor It makes me cry because our churches have lost something somewhere or did we compromise the gospel? You talked about some churches having two services one for the younger folk and a service for the older folks I have been in the Church Of God Of Prophecy all my life and I thank God my children got to grow up in the old way that is how our youth is to learn is from the older.I'm not saying the new is bad because I have worshiped that way to. The conviction doesn't seem to be as strong I remember a time when alter call came If you were a sinner you either went to the alter or you would get up and go out that's how strong the power of God was.when I got saved I was humbled and broken by the spirit I cried out to God to forgive me of my sins I labored in receiving salvation when I got up from the alter I felt new I could see clearer I know its not all about the shout but when the spirit of God gets on you you got to move. So many church have lost that God has no freedom and our younger folks are learning about God on a whole new level. We need to see the gifts of the spirit working in the church he said greater works we shall do as the old saying goes back in the day we seen healing, demons cast out, out pouring of the Holy Ghost, deliverance from drugs, alcohol, depression,and many others there was nothing God couldn't do but we have more people in the church that never receive what God says they can have. When he returns will he find faith God Bless thank you for letting me post.

Popular posts from this blog

Come Down From That Ivory Tower

Hebrews 11 has become known as the "Hall of Faith." The reason is quite simple. The writer spends a great deal of time giving a role call of the heroes of the faith. After all, this chapter is about faith, and what better way to teach faith than to illustrate with some real-life examples. Mos of the people in this chapter are well-known, at least by anyone who spent time squirming in a Sunday School class as a small child, or who watched the late-night movies on the local channels featuring their stories. Who were they? Abel, Enoch and Noah. Abel pleased God with his excellent offering, Enoch was so close to God that he actually walked with God to the point that one evening, while walking God said to Enoch, "we are closer to my house than we are yours, so why don't you just go home with me?" Of course, Noah built an ark (according to God's instructions) that saved mankind from total destruction. Then there was Abraham...the father of the faithful. He

From Hate to Faith

The Church Of God Of Prophecy at Oliver Springs would like to invite you to come and listen to Jim Tull, a former leader of the Aryan Brotherhood - a secret society that espouses hatred of minorities and is also associated with a motorcycle gang known for its cruelty and criminal activities. Jim Tull has a message that will hit home to everyone from the youth to your grandmother. His testimony includes how he "violated all 10 commandments" and how he taught hatred and violence. WHEN: Saturday, March 10th at 6:00 P.M. WHERE: The Church of God of Prophecy, Oliver Springs. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CALL ROY MASSENGALE AT 435-5800. PLEASE ANNOUNCE AND POST THE ATTACHED FLYER. Thank you and God bless.

Dr. David Horton

Lee University News Article: Dr. David Horton Dies Suddenly on Choir Tour: Funeral is Saturday Funeral services for Dr. David Horton have been scheduled for Saturday at 4:00 p.m. at the North Cleveland Church of God. The family will receive visitors Friday at Rush Funeral Home from 2-4 and 6-9 p.m. Dr. David Horton, a veteran member of the Lee University music faculty, died suddenly Monday evening following an apparent heart attack. Horton was in Nassau, Bahamas, on the first day of a post-commencement ministry tour with Campus Choir when he was stricken. His wife Virginia was with him as they returned to their hotel following dinner when he suddenly collapsed and was rushed to a hospital. "We are all stunned and deeply saddened by this unexpected loss," said president Dr. Paul Conn. "There are few people who have ever made such a huge impact on the life of Lee University as Dr. Horton has made. He and his wife Virginia have poured themselves into the lives of so many s