Skip to main content

It's not what I do...It's who I am


Yesterday an incident happened that brought to a profound realization of what being a minister is all about.

I must first begin by saying I found myself in a place I had not intention of being...that it was a split-second decision that took me to Barnes and Noble in the town where I live. Secondly, I need to tell you a story...hopefully not a long one, but at least to the point. Here are the basics;

Yesterday morning I had a full day planned. This is not so unusual but the way it unfolded led me to what I like to call a "Divine appointment." I started out my morning at Vanderbilt University Hospital with a visit to one of our friends who had been taken there in the middle of the night by ambulance. He had been in the emergency room all night long and his family waited anxiously to hear a diagnosis from the doctors. You see, Bill had a recent surgery for a brain tumor and after some days at home suffered a blood clot in his lung. Of course the doctors were concerned with other possible clotting, and the nature of his brain surgery prevented the normal treatment for such a blood clot. Done wrong, it could lead to a "brain-bleed" which could yield a less-than desirable outcome.

After visiting with the family for a while, I shared a thought the Lord had laid on my heart for Bill. A thought that I have been sharing in District Leadership meetings across Tennessee. We are but bread in the Master's hand, and when He allows them to come, they are for the purpose of breaking us so that we can be shared with others (Matthew 14:16-21). At the conclusion of the prayer, Bill said, "I receive that word." I believed it was a word spoken at the right moment. Bill was later admitted to the hospital and will spend a few days recovering.

I left there and started on my way home. I needed to be in Cleveland, Tennessee by 4:00 p.m. that afternoon, and it is a 3 1/2 hour drive from our house. This is when the Divine appointment happened.

Earlier, I had ordered a specific book from Amazon.com that I needed for research, and it had not yet arrived. I thought; "well, I can go by Barnes and Noble. If they have the book, I'll just buy it, and I will give the one ordered to a pastor for his/her library." What happened next has happened many times, in different ways but the result always seems to be the same.

After walking to the section where the book should have been, I decided to go to the information desk and ask if they had it in stock. There was an older man standing at the information desk asking about a book, and the clerk could not seem to find it in their system. I waited patiently and overheard the man give the name of the author. It was a name I had been familiar with since studying this author over twenty-years-ago in college. The conversation then went something like this:

I said, "Excuse me, but I don't mean to intrude, but I believe I can help you with this." The man turned and said, "please do." I then stated, "that book has probably been out of print for many years and you will have a hard time finding it....it was probably published before World War One."

The clerk then said, "do you know the author's name?" "Yes," I replied and shared it with her. She typed the name of the author in and the computer pulled up the title of the book and the author's other works and she excitedly said, "it was published in 1918, you were right." Then she said to me, "he is looking for a book to give as a gift to his granddaughter." And of course my reply was, "I understand that, I have two granddaughters."

He then looked at me and his face saddened. He said, "It's not really for my granddaughter, its for me...I am trying to find a book that will help me find God. I can't seem to find anything here."

I looked around the large store (I must admit it was on purpose and a bit dramatic) and I said, "do you see all of these books in this store? There are thousands." I then said, "I know the God have gave all of this knowledge, and in fact there aren't enough books to contain Him."

A huge tear dropped down his cheek as he said, "I just don't understand." I smiled and said, "may I share something with you?"

By now, the other staff began to gather at the information desk...three ladies all were watching intently and listening to every word. I continued, "Sir, what is your name?" "John," he answered. I said, well John let me tell you the two basic truths about all true theology."

I continued, "First...God is. He exists, he is real." and second, "you can find Him." At that point he said, "I've tried a lot of churches....Evangelical, Lutheran, Catholic even Pentecostal...but I can only find a lot of noise...nothing is speaking clearly with me, I am lost."

I then said, "John, I am not talking about religion...I am talking about a real relationship with the true and living God....and He wants you to know Him. He wants you to know Him personally."

By now his tears were flowing freely, the women around the counter hadn't moved. Now there were two others standing behind me, and I noticed they were paying attention to every word. I said, "John can I pray with you?" His answer was the one I expected and the one I hoped for, "yes...please."

As I placed my hand on his shoulder and began to bless him, John met the Lord...right there in the middle of the store. To God be the Glory.

After spending a little more time with John and sharing good resources for his new found faith, he said, "I've found what I was looking for...I can't believe you were standing right there when I was searching for an answer." My reply was simple..."John that's just how much God loves you. He had a Divine appointment with you today."

After John left, the woman said, "is there a book you were looking for?" I said, "yes, but I doubt you have it in stock." She checked and found they DID NOT have it. I realized that the search for a book was never the object of the trip to Barnes and Noble, but John was the object of the search and the Good Shepherd found John there.

Later in the afternoon I made the trip to Cleveland for the memorial service of a great man of God, Bishop Henry Biggers. What an encouraging service, what a wonderful job done by everyone involved in the service, and his son, Larry preached a wonderful memorial service for his father.

As I sat in the church, listening to the songs, listening to the sermon and looking around the room at the multitude of ministers both active and retired the thought of my encounter with John that day was fresh in my mind. I realized that so much is expected of ministers but the recurring thought kept coming to my mind...

This is not what I do...It's who I am.

And so it is with all of us who carry the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We care for His people because....

I'ts not what we do...It's who we are.

Comments

Praise the Lord thanks for sharing, God blessed me with a divine moment with a man at Earlanger Hospital recently, his aunt from CA called and ask for someone to pray with him, he accepted Christ and God called him home the next week, whew, help us Lord to go when you call.
Yes sir, Gene. This is what it's all about.
Anonymous said…
Oh Praise the Lord! This is what it is all about - making a difference in someone's life by sharing the Love of Jesus. Thank you for sharing your story - it's been a blessing. Jeff Massengill
TTurpin said…
Bro. McKinley
Thank You for this post. Many times we thank it is what we do, the job we have, the title we obtain. But no matter where we are at "It's not what we do, It's who I am."

Am I the same at my church, at my home, at my work, or wherever. Do I represent Jesus!!! And am I making an impact, a difference in someone elses life. Awesome message. Todd

Popular posts from this blog

From Hate to Faith

The Church Of God Of Prophecy at Oliver Springs would like to invite you to come and listen to Jim Tull, a former leader of the Aryan Brotherhood - a secret society that espouses hatred of minorities and is also associated with a motorcycle gang known for its cruelty and criminal activities. Jim Tull has a message that will hit home to everyone from the youth to your grandmother. His testimony includes how he "violated all 10 commandments" and how he taught hatred and violence. WHEN: Saturday, March 10th at 6:00 P.M. WHERE: The Church of God of Prophecy, Oliver Springs. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CALL ROY MASSENGALE AT 435-5800. PLEASE ANNOUNCE AND POST THE ATTACHED FLYER. Thank you and God bless.

Come Down From That Ivory Tower

Hebrews 11 has become known as the "Hall of Faith." The reason is quite simple. The writer spends a great deal of time giving a role call of the heroes of the faith. After all, this chapter is about faith, and what better way to teach faith than to illustrate with some real-life examples. Mos of the people in this chapter are well-known, at least by anyone who spent time squirming in a Sunday School class as a small child, or who watched the late-night movies on the local channels featuring their stories. Who were they? Abel, Enoch and Noah. Abel pleased God with his excellent offering, Enoch was so close to God that he actually walked with God to the point that one evening, while walking God said to Enoch, "we are closer to my house than we are yours, so why don't you just go home with me?" Of course, Noah built an ark (according to God's instructions) that saved mankind from total destruction. Then there was Abraham...the father of the faithful. He

Dr. David Horton

Lee University News Article: Dr. David Horton Dies Suddenly on Choir Tour: Funeral is Saturday Funeral services for Dr. David Horton have been scheduled for Saturday at 4:00 p.m. at the North Cleveland Church of God. The family will receive visitors Friday at Rush Funeral Home from 2-4 and 6-9 p.m. Dr. David Horton, a veteran member of the Lee University music faculty, died suddenly Monday evening following an apparent heart attack. Horton was in Nassau, Bahamas, on the first day of a post-commencement ministry tour with Campus Choir when he was stricken. His wife Virginia was with him as they returned to their hotel following dinner when he suddenly collapsed and was rushed to a hospital. "We are all stunned and deeply saddened by this unexpected loss," said president Dr. Paul Conn. "There are few people who have ever made such a huge impact on the life of Lee University as Dr. Horton has made. He and his wife Virginia have poured themselves into the lives of so many s