Skip to main content

The Difficulties We Face


This morning during my personal devotional time, I decided to read my Bible in a different translation (normally King James Version) and realized new clarity for several situations I am currently facing. I would like to share just a few passages of Scripture from Eugene Peterson’s translation, called “The Message.”


“Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed. Not deficient in any way.” (James 1:1-4)


After reading this, it became evident that perhaps I was feeling a bit sorry for myself. Yes, it happens from time-to-time. We get discouraged because of the difficulties that come our way. Please allow me to elaborate.


My life and struggles are pretty much the same as everyone’s. We have hopes and aspirations, looking for a sense of accomplishment in the things we do. When we are at those moments when our bodies are physically exhausted, and our reason and emotions are drained, we have the tendency to feel like what we do (or are doing) is not making a difference.


I know that as a pastor, there were times when it seemed as if no one understood the struggles I was engaged in, and when I tried to express my personal struggles, it was taken as either a “bad attitude” or as “whining.” In reality, it took a moment alone with God in Eastern Montana to realize that I just didn’t feel appreciated. Oh, those times had come before, but never with quite the clarity of a moment of wrestling with God.


Have you ever felt that way? Have you exhausted your body, your mind and seemingly your soul to help and feel as if it just wasn’t appreciated? On that dusty road of Eastern Montana, I came to a point of helplessness and total surrender…a moment that changed my life completely. If you will read on, I’d like to share how it changed me.


Suddenly, what people thought didn’t quite seem to matter as much as it had…I came to the realization that no matter what I accomplished, it would never please everyone…in fact, when I tried that, no one was pleased. In that moment of “soul-struggle” I found God again. No, I wasn’t outside of the relationship I had grown in over my years of ministry, but I realized that what I was doing needed to be for “an audience of One.”


I well remember that after that day, I seemed to look at things differently, as if someone had turned a light on in a dark room.


Where I had been walking in “self-confidence.”


I felt myself walking the confidence that God loves me (and you) with an everlasting love, and He never takes His eyes off us.


You see, there are some of you who read this blog on a regular basis, and you reach moments in your life where everything is a pure struggle. You try to be faithful in your spiritual formation, but the cares of life, the hurried world around us and our own inadequacies just seem to overwhelm us.


Our first inclination is to do as I had done, “feel sorry for ourselves.”


We think, “no one cares, no on really understands my feelings.


And you know what?


Nothing could be further from the truth. God has placed people all around you to come along side you, strengthen and encourage you, and if you are like me, the hardest thing is to look beyond the pain of the moment and see the many blessings of your life.


James actually calls your struggle, “a gift from God.”


He encourages us to remember that when tests and challenges come at us from all sides, and we feel overwhelmed, the answer is as simple as to look up! God is allowing the pressure in your life to perfect your faith and to prepare you to cope with the pressures of life and the problems we so often find ourselves in.


It is in these moments of trial that God reveals what is actually on the inside of us (that’s what He had to show me in Montana) much like a tea bag reveals its contents when placed in hot water.


So instead of struggling like a person who is drowning, instead of fighting the Rescuer who comes to save us, lay back in His arms and allow Him to rescue you in the moment, and prepare you for the future.


After reading the Scripture lesson, I took the moments to realize that God has been so good to me…surrounded me with caring family and friends, has provide my needs and even made my attitude a little bit better.


So, whatever you are facing today, remember, it is all working for your benefit, instead of cursing the trial…bless our Creator!


Now, don’t we serve a “good” God?


May God bless and keep you in the palm of His hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Hate to Faith

The Church Of God Of Prophecy at Oliver Springs would like to invite you to come and listen to Jim Tull, a former leader of the Aryan Brotherhood - a secret society that espouses hatred of minorities and is also associated with a motorcycle gang known for its cruelty and criminal activities. Jim Tull has a message that will hit home to everyone from the youth to your grandmother. His testimony includes how he "violated all 10 commandments" and how he taught hatred and violence. WHEN: Saturday, March 10th at 6:00 P.M. WHERE: The Church of God of Prophecy, Oliver Springs. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CALL ROY MASSENGALE AT 435-5800. PLEASE ANNOUNCE AND POST THE ATTACHED FLYER. Thank you and God bless.

Come Down From That Ivory Tower

Hebrews 11 has become known as the "Hall of Faith." The reason is quite simple. The writer spends a great deal of time giving a role call of the heroes of the faith. After all, this chapter is about faith, and what better way to teach faith than to illustrate with some real-life examples. Mos of the people in this chapter are well-known, at least by anyone who spent time squirming in a Sunday School class as a small child, or who watched the late-night movies on the local channels featuring their stories. Who were they? Abel, Enoch and Noah. Abel pleased God with his excellent offering, Enoch was so close to God that he actually walked with God to the point that one evening, while walking God said to Enoch, "we are closer to my house than we are yours, so why don't you just go home with me?" Of course, Noah built an ark (according to God's instructions) that saved mankind from total destruction. Then there was Abraham...the father of the faithful. He

Dr. David Horton

Lee University News Article: Dr. David Horton Dies Suddenly on Choir Tour: Funeral is Saturday Funeral services for Dr. David Horton have been scheduled for Saturday at 4:00 p.m. at the North Cleveland Church of God. The family will receive visitors Friday at Rush Funeral Home from 2-4 and 6-9 p.m. Dr. David Horton, a veteran member of the Lee University music faculty, died suddenly Monday evening following an apparent heart attack. Horton was in Nassau, Bahamas, on the first day of a post-commencement ministry tour with Campus Choir when he was stricken. His wife Virginia was with him as they returned to their hotel following dinner when he suddenly collapsed and was rushed to a hospital. "We are all stunned and deeply saddened by this unexpected loss," said president Dr. Paul Conn. "There are few people who have ever made such a huge impact on the life of Lee University as Dr. Horton has made. He and his wife Virginia have poured themselves into the lives of so many s