Skip to main content

A Welcomed Death

From time-to-time, I have used this forum to share death announcements of ministers (active or retired) and their families. So, it shouldn't be surprising that I am making another death notice. So here it is....

Last Sunday night, six-days-ago I died, and it couldn't have been a more welcomed event. Now, before you think I've lost my mind, let me explain to you about my death.

For the last ten months I have struggled with multiple problems in churches and faced situations that I simply did not have the answers for, and could not solve. I struggled so desperately with these issues that I found myself drawing inward and dreading the rise of the sun each morning. I went to sleep with these problems on my mind and I woke up with them on my mind. All through the day I thought of nothing else, and that made me unproductive and distracted. You might say there was an internal storm that was raging which didn't seem to have an end in sight.

All through this time, people would call, text and email me to simply say, "Bishop, I've had you on my heart so heavily that I had to stop what I was doing to pray for you." These encouraging calls and messages didn't go unnoticed by me or by our Father in Heaven. The writer of Psalms said, "The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them." (34:7) and I can testify to the truth of God's Word...the angels of the Lord held me up when I couldn't hold myself up.

When I went to bed last Sunday night these issues were still on my mind. In the moments before I fell asleep I was simply groaning and saying, "Lord help me...Lord help me."

At 3:00 a.m., I fell into a deep sleep...whether it was a dream or a vision, I died. I could hear people talking all around me, and they were talking about these issues I was struggling with. I recognized the voices of most of the people around me and listened intently to what they were saying. I actually heard a few things that surprised me...not WHAT was said, but WHO said it.

When I realized that I had died, I sat straight up and said, "is that all there is to it?" I suddenly realized what Paul was talking about when he said, "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" It wasn't as big a deal that I always thought it was. It was like falling to sleep and realizing I was still alive, but I suddenly had clarity to the things going on around me. I suddenly understood what needed to be done and how I was to do it.

When this realization came to me I said, "Praise the Lord!" and I have been saying it ever since.

Now fully awake, I felt different. I felt brand new. I felt the load lift and I had a new life.

Later that morning, Debra called me and said, "honey, are you all right?" to which I replied I died. There was a long pause on the phone and joy burst forth in my heart and came out of my mouth. I then explained to her this simple thought:

You can't hurt a dead man...you can talk about him all you want but it doesn't affect him. You can kick him and he doesn't feel it. In other words, IT AIN'T NO BIG DEAL!

Since that moment there has been a freshness to life. One that I don't ever want to lose.

I feel like the Lord gave me clear direction and gave me a verse for the moment. Let me share it with you:

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 15:58)

I will hold on to that promise for the rest of my life. God bless you!

Comments

Praise God! I love you!
That is awesome and amazing!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!!

Popular posts from this blog

From Hate to Faith

The Church Of God Of Prophecy at Oliver Springs would like to invite you to come and listen to Jim Tull, a former leader of the Aryan Brotherhood - a secret society that espouses hatred of minorities and is also associated with a motorcycle gang known for its cruelty and criminal activities. Jim Tull has a message that will hit home to everyone from the youth to your grandmother. His testimony includes how he "violated all 10 commandments" and how he taught hatred and violence. WHEN: Saturday, March 10th at 6:00 P.M. WHERE: The Church of God of Prophecy, Oliver Springs. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CALL ROY MASSENGALE AT 435-5800. PLEASE ANNOUNCE AND POST THE ATTACHED FLYER. Thank you and God bless.

Come Down From That Ivory Tower

Hebrews 11 has become known as the "Hall of Faith." The reason is quite simple. The writer spends a great deal of time giving a role call of the heroes of the faith. After all, this chapter is about faith, and what better way to teach faith than to illustrate with some real-life examples. Mos of the people in this chapter are well-known, at least by anyone who spent time squirming in a Sunday School class as a small child, or who watched the late-night movies on the local channels featuring their stories. Who were they? Abel, Enoch and Noah. Abel pleased God with his excellent offering, Enoch was so close to God that he actually walked with God to the point that one evening, while walking God said to Enoch, "we are closer to my house than we are yours, so why don't you just go home with me?" Of course, Noah built an ark (according to God's instructions) that saved mankind from total destruction. Then there was Abraham...the father of the faithful. He

Dr. David Horton

Lee University News Article: Dr. David Horton Dies Suddenly on Choir Tour: Funeral is Saturday Funeral services for Dr. David Horton have been scheduled for Saturday at 4:00 p.m. at the North Cleveland Church of God. The family will receive visitors Friday at Rush Funeral Home from 2-4 and 6-9 p.m. Dr. David Horton, a veteran member of the Lee University music faculty, died suddenly Monday evening following an apparent heart attack. Horton was in Nassau, Bahamas, on the first day of a post-commencement ministry tour with Campus Choir when he was stricken. His wife Virginia was with him as they returned to their hotel following dinner when he suddenly collapsed and was rushed to a hospital. "We are all stunned and deeply saddened by this unexpected loss," said president Dr. Paul Conn. "There are few people who have ever made such a huge impact on the life of Lee University as Dr. Horton has made. He and his wife Virginia have poured themselves into the lives of so many s