Skip to main content

21 Days of Seeking - Day 2

As we move into day two of our 21 Days of Seeking, it occurs to me that it would be a good time to take a personal inventory.  In the late 1980's I was privileged to attend (and later teach) personal evangelism classes that taught a Biblical, easy-to-understand way of presenting the Gospel to those who have not accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into their lives.  To say that it changed my life would be an understatement...it not only changed the way I live my life, but it also changed me.  I began a journey of self-discovery that would eventually change my own personal walk with Christ, but also how I view others.

A member of my local church drove by the parsonage one day to give me a present in the form of a book written by one of my favorite authors and speaker, Dr. Charles Swindioll.  The book was entitled, A Grace Awakening, and I once I opened the first page I could not put it down until I had read completely through it. That book, is still available to this day.  My personal copy is dog-eared and marked up as it has been ready often, as well, I have the book on audio recording and from time-to-time I listen as I drive between appointments.  Back to the class...

In the very beginning of the class, the concept was taught to the student that a self-inventory is necessary before you can ever effectively share you faith with someone else.  I began this self-inventory and continue to do that almost daily.  The book from Dr. Swindoll opened my eyes to the fact that I was looking at life incorrectly and a well, I was approaching ministry in a non-Biblical way.  I found precedence for this practice in the New Testament when Paul wrote, "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" (2 Corinthians 13:5)

There was a tremendous change that was taking place in my heart as I realized that much of what I did in ministry was based out of blind-obedience and not from an act of faith.  This was troubling in light of the fact that "whatsoever is not of faith is sin." (cf.  Romans 14:23)  I realized that while my actions may have lined up with the rules and regulations I was taught, my reason for doing them did not line up with the Scripture.  This was a troubling revelation for someone who handled the Word of God on a regular basis and was given the care of souls.

On day two I challenge you to do what I have practiced for all of these years, as I lead by example.  Take the time to examine your heart.  Examine your motives, and examine your practices.  I can't help but believe there is room for improvement in all of our lives...I know there is room in my life.  

Open your Bible as you enter your prayer time.  Speak to God from deep inside your heart and share all that is troubling you...then, take time to think through the Scripture...speed-reading is not the object of this exercise, but rather to read, ruminate and ingest the Word.  The listen as God speaks to you through His Word, which I believe to be the preserved Will of God for all mankind.

Resist the urge to blame others for your problems, own up to them and make them your own.  Then, in very large letters write this verse across the page that lists your failures and your sin.  Once you have written this verse, ask God to forgive you for missing the mark, then tear that piece of paper into as many shreds as you possibly can...for that is what God has done with your sin.


Are your ready?  Here is the verse to write across the record of your sin and failure:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

As you throw the paper away, remember these words of hope from the Scripture and, and begin to live free!  

After all, "As far as the east is from the westso far hath he removed our transgressions from us." (Psalm 103:12)

MAY GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Hate to Faith

The Church Of God Of Prophecy at Oliver Springs would like to invite you to come and listen to Jim Tull, a former leader of the Aryan Brotherhood - a secret society that espouses hatred of minorities and is also associated with a motorcycle gang known for its cruelty and criminal activities. Jim Tull has a message that will hit home to everyone from the youth to your grandmother. His testimony includes how he "violated all 10 commandments" and how he taught hatred and violence. WHEN: Saturday, March 10th at 6:00 P.M. WHERE: The Church of God of Prophecy, Oliver Springs. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CALL ROY MASSENGALE AT 435-5800. PLEASE ANNOUNCE AND POST THE ATTACHED FLYER. Thank you and God bless.

Come Down From That Ivory Tower

Hebrews 11 has become known as the "Hall of Faith." The reason is quite simple. The writer spends a great deal of time giving a role call of the heroes of the faith. After all, this chapter is about faith, and what better way to teach faith than to illustrate with some real-life examples. Mos of the people in this chapter are well-known, at least by anyone who spent time squirming in a Sunday School class as a small child, or who watched the late-night movies on the local channels featuring their stories. Who were they? Abel, Enoch and Noah. Abel pleased God with his excellent offering, Enoch was so close to God that he actually walked with God to the point that one evening, while walking God said to Enoch, "we are closer to my house than we are yours, so why don't you just go home with me?" Of course, Noah built an ark (according to God's instructions) that saved mankind from total destruction. Then there was Abraham...the father of the faithful. He

Dr. David Horton

Lee University News Article: Dr. David Horton Dies Suddenly on Choir Tour: Funeral is Saturday Funeral services for Dr. David Horton have been scheduled for Saturday at 4:00 p.m. at the North Cleveland Church of God. The family will receive visitors Friday at Rush Funeral Home from 2-4 and 6-9 p.m. Dr. David Horton, a veteran member of the Lee University music faculty, died suddenly Monday evening following an apparent heart attack. Horton was in Nassau, Bahamas, on the first day of a post-commencement ministry tour with Campus Choir when he was stricken. His wife Virginia was with him as they returned to their hotel following dinner when he suddenly collapsed and was rushed to a hospital. "We are all stunned and deeply saddened by this unexpected loss," said president Dr. Paul Conn. "There are few people who have ever made such a huge impact on the life of Lee University as Dr. Horton has made. He and his wife Virginia have poured themselves into the lives of so many s