Skip to main content

Soul Burden

"But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd." (Matthew 9:36)

It seems like it was only a short-time ago that I accepted the call from the Lord into ministry.  To be perfectly honest, it was a call that I ran from for many years.  Like so many others, I tried to deal with the conviction from the Holy Spirit by filling my life with things of no eternal value.  I was on a dead end road until the day came that God put a roadblock in my path and I turned around.

The memories of those early days are still fresh.  You see, I knew the difference between right and wrong, I simply chose wrong.  I had a godly mother who prayed and fasted for me, and had been married almost two years when I stopped running from God and started running toward Him.  My father returned to the Lord, mostly brought on by the sudden and unexpected death of my older brother.  He was now pursuing the call of God on his life that was forsaken in his youth.

I can honestly say I was won over by the godly example of my young wife and the thought of what kind of father I would be to my young son, not yet a year old.  Living in a suburb of Louisville, Kentucky, working as a plain clothes police investigator, I was on a pathway that most likely would have led to an early death.  But, the Lord heard my cry and forgave me of the sin that had saturated my life.  

I've heard people say, "I found the Lord."  In reality, God was never lost...I was.  He came and found me and turned my life around.  I no longer sought the temporary pleasures of the world to satisfy the longing in my heart and soul, now, I found myself seeking Someone whom I thought could never be apprehended.  But now, He apprehended me.

I had such a longing to know Him more that I devoured the Bible, reading everything I could get my hands on to understand it.  Suddenly, I wanted to be in church, among the people of God.  In the past, I had viewed the church people to be hypocrites, but now, I wanted to be with them.  I wanted to talk about Jesus, I wanted to know more about Him, so in my mind, there was not better way than to be near and talk to those who were near Him.  As an investigator, I knew the value of finding witnesses to verify truth or recognize error...what better place to start than among His people?

I spent long times of prayer and seeking, experiencing an inexpressible hunger for others, even total strangers, to experience what had happened to me.  I wanted them to know about the life change that I had experienced...confident that He could and would change them too.  

I heard a preacher by the name of Bishop Harper Hunter express this inner drive as a "soul burden."  Then, I read a book of sermons by Bishop Buford Johnson where he wrote the same thing, going so far as to say that God is looking for someone to "stand in the gap," and "make up a hedge" around lost people.  It all began to make sense.

For the next thirty-plus years that "soul burden" gripped me.  

It caused me to change course more than once, to leave mother and father and extended family to go wherever doors opened.  At first there weren't a lot of calls or opportunities to preach so, led by the Lord I found people in walks of life and simply shared what had happened to me.  I shared that I was on a path to death and destruction but now, I could lay my head on a pillow at night with confidence that to be absent from my body meant to be present with the Lord.

I prayed the prayer of faith with people on the street, in the hospital, in nursing homes and jails.  At times, driven by this "soul burden" I even went door-to-door inviting people to know this great joy and peace I had found.

Having been a high school dropout, the U.S. Army required that I complete a G.E.D. to enlist, so that is exactly what I pursued.  Recognizing that there was so much knowledge and understanding missing in my life I enrolled in college.  First at Central Texas College I enrolled in classes and completed them.  Then I attended college and seminary in Indiana.  Yet with all of the learning I consumed, I found that it did not replace this "soul burden."  At the end of the day, it was not a college degree that I was seeking, but rather more knowledge and understanding to present this wonderful message of the Gospel.

I had the "soul burden" as an evangelist and pastor, and for the past 15 plus years as a Presiding Bishop (State Overseer) it is still there.  

After all of these years it is becoming increasingly evident to me that it is not the formal education or even the experience of ministry that matters most.  What matters most is a burden for lost men and women, boys and girls.  Without a burden for souls, we may be professional ministers and administrators, but at the end of the day we will not be fulfilled.

I am praying daily for the Lord to increase the Burden for Souls in my heart and life and I am praying the same for others.  I pray, "Dear Lord, please wake us up to the reality of the eternal.  Touch me, change me, mold me and make me into a witness for you.  Increase the burden for souls...give me souls or I will die."

"The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved."  (Jeremiah 8:20)

Comments

Unknown said…
I always love to hear your testimony of your life. It is real! Thank you so much for sharing, and thank you so much for caring! You are an awesome state overseer and soul winner for God!

Popular posts from this blog

From Hate to Faith

The Church Of God Of Prophecy at Oliver Springs would like to invite you to come and listen to Jim Tull, a former leader of the Aryan Brotherhood - a secret society that espouses hatred of minorities and is also associated with a motorcycle gang known for its cruelty and criminal activities. Jim Tull has a message that will hit home to everyone from the youth to your grandmother. His testimony includes how he "violated all 10 commandments" and how he taught hatred and violence. WHEN: Saturday, March 10th at 6:00 P.M. WHERE: The Church of God of Prophecy, Oliver Springs. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CALL ROY MASSENGALE AT 435-5800. PLEASE ANNOUNCE AND POST THE ATTACHED FLYER. Thank you and God bless.

Come Down From That Ivory Tower

Hebrews 11 has become known as the "Hall of Faith." The reason is quite simple. The writer spends a great deal of time giving a role call of the heroes of the faith. After all, this chapter is about faith, and what better way to teach faith than to illustrate with some real-life examples. Mos of the people in this chapter are well-known, at least by anyone who spent time squirming in a Sunday School class as a small child, or who watched the late-night movies on the local channels featuring their stories. Who were they? Abel, Enoch and Noah. Abel pleased God with his excellent offering, Enoch was so close to God that he actually walked with God to the point that one evening, while walking God said to Enoch, "we are closer to my house than we are yours, so why don't you just go home with me?" Of course, Noah built an ark (according to God's instructions) that saved mankind from total destruction. Then there was Abraham...the father of the faithful. He

Dr. David Horton

Lee University News Article: Dr. David Horton Dies Suddenly on Choir Tour: Funeral is Saturday Funeral services for Dr. David Horton have been scheduled for Saturday at 4:00 p.m. at the North Cleveland Church of God. The family will receive visitors Friday at Rush Funeral Home from 2-4 and 6-9 p.m. Dr. David Horton, a veteran member of the Lee University music faculty, died suddenly Monday evening following an apparent heart attack. Horton was in Nassau, Bahamas, on the first day of a post-commencement ministry tour with Campus Choir when he was stricken. His wife Virginia was with him as they returned to their hotel following dinner when he suddenly collapsed and was rushed to a hospital. "We are all stunned and deeply saddened by this unexpected loss," said president Dr. Paul Conn. "There are few people who have ever made such a huge impact on the life of Lee University as Dr. Horton has made. He and his wife Virginia have poured themselves into the lives of so many s