Skip to main content

Finding the Lord at the breakfast table...

Not long ago a dear friend of mine passed away. She was an awesome older lady who started attending the church I was pastoring when her hairdresser invited her to a Sunday morning worship service. We hit it off right away...she was in her seventies, and to be honest she was quite "spunky." I had always appreciated her for that quality.

It was my habit to visit her on Tuesday mornings, and would quite often sit with her husband and I would listen to his "war" stories from World War II." In served in the Army Air Corps (the name of our air forces until the U.S. Airforce was officially established in 1948) and flew multiple missions over Germany as part of a bomber air crew. He was as fascinating as his wife was.

I remember one Tuesday morning that stands out to me, and I will never forget. It was a hot, sultry summer morning in Tennessee, and the humidity looked like fog in the early morning hours. As we sat at the kitchen table (which we often did) drinking a cup of coffee, I sensed that Herman was troubled by something. As we talked, I realized that he was "under conviction" and the Lord had been trying to get his attention.

As I have often done with others, I asked my friend if he had the assurance of eternal life. "Have you come to the place in your life, where you know for a fact that you would go to heaven if you were to die tonight?" His head dropped, and he said, "no sir, I haven't."

At that moment, I began to share the gospel of Jesus Christ, and explained that we can know for sure about our spiritual future, and we don't have to doubt it. I watched as his heart melted and when I had finished presenting the "good news" to him, I asked him, "Would you like to know for sure today?" Without hesitation, he said "yes."

I reached across the kitchen table and said, "take my hand and let's pray together." It was a beautiful moment in time, and there was no doubt the Holy Spirit had been at work in this home. My new "brother in Christ" started attending church, and was quite vocal about his conversion all the way to his death that came some-time-later due to cancer.

Shortly after his death, I was appointed to serve as the presiding bishop of the Northwest Territories Region (MT/ND/SD/WY) and I moved some 1,600 miles away. I stayed in touch with Herman's wife over the years and one day she fell ill. By the time she passed away, I had been reappointed to serve the Mid America Region (AR/OK) so I was a lot closer.

Her request was that I preach her funeral, and share something about her life. I was deeply saddened by her passing, but at the same time I was honored to be chosen to conduct the service.

I drove the 500 or so miles and fulfilled my promise to her from so many years ago.

With the passing of these two friends, I was allowed by God to see something that countless other ministers have experienced....the completion of a work. You see, much of what ministers do is mostly "unfinished" or you might say works in progress. But, when we can see people's journey from conversion to "translation," we have the sense that we've completed a job.

As I write (after awakening earlier than usual) my heart is overwhelmed by the Grace of God, who would save people in their later years of life, after not serving Him for so long. I am overwhelmed that God blessed me by knowing Herman and his wife.

As a final note; when Herman passed away, his wife gave me a gold initial ring that she had bought for him in 1945. Since their last name started with an "M" she thought of me first. I still have it, and would not part with it for anything,, and every time I look at it I am reminded of that moment in my life.

I pray that God will give you similar types of opportunities, so that you will experience the same sense of personal fulfillment. I also pray that God will give us thousands of souls for the kingdom of God in Tennessee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come Down From That Ivory Tower

Hebrews 11 has become known as the "Hall of Faith." The reason is quite simple. The writer spends a great deal of time giving a role call of the heroes of the faith. After all, this chapter is about faith, and what better way to teach faith than to illustrate with some real-life examples. Mos of the people in this chapter are well-known, at least by anyone who spent time squirming in a Sunday School class as a small child, or who watched the late-night movies on the local channels featuring their stories. Who were they? Abel, Enoch and Noah. Abel pleased God with his excellent offering, Enoch was so close to God that he actually walked with God to the point that one evening, while walking God said to Enoch, "we are closer to my house than we are yours, so why don't you just go home with me?" Of course, Noah built an ark (according to God's instructions) that saved mankind from total destruction. Then there was Abraham...the father of the faithful. He

From Hate to Faith

The Church Of God Of Prophecy at Oliver Springs would like to invite you to come and listen to Jim Tull, a former leader of the Aryan Brotherhood - a secret society that espouses hatred of minorities and is also associated with a motorcycle gang known for its cruelty and criminal activities. Jim Tull has a message that will hit home to everyone from the youth to your grandmother. His testimony includes how he "violated all 10 commandments" and how he taught hatred and violence. WHEN: Saturday, March 10th at 6:00 P.M. WHERE: The Church of God of Prophecy, Oliver Springs. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CALL ROY MASSENGALE AT 435-5800. PLEASE ANNOUNCE AND POST THE ATTACHED FLYER. Thank you and God bless.

Dr. David Horton

Lee University News Article: Dr. David Horton Dies Suddenly on Choir Tour: Funeral is Saturday Funeral services for Dr. David Horton have been scheduled for Saturday at 4:00 p.m. at the North Cleveland Church of God. The family will receive visitors Friday at Rush Funeral Home from 2-4 and 6-9 p.m. Dr. David Horton, a veteran member of the Lee University music faculty, died suddenly Monday evening following an apparent heart attack. Horton was in Nassau, Bahamas, on the first day of a post-commencement ministry tour with Campus Choir when he was stricken. His wife Virginia was with him as they returned to their hotel following dinner when he suddenly collapsed and was rushed to a hospital. "We are all stunned and deeply saddened by this unexpected loss," said president Dr. Paul Conn. "There are few people who have ever made such a huge impact on the life of Lee University as Dr. Horton has made. He and his wife Virginia have poured themselves into the lives of so many s